The province’s decision to shuffle at least 70 jobs in anglophone schools will have the most impact on English and Math.
Twenty-eight people working at the district level in literacy and 28 working in numeracy — they’re known as leads — will be moved to other jobs in the school system because more homeroom teachers are needed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Education Department released the breakdown of affected positions on Wednesday.
Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health, will be speaking with reporters Wednesday afternoon about the COVID-19 outbreak. (Submitted by Government of New Brunswick)
“These changes will allow the experts who were previously working in district offices to work in schools, directly with the teachers and students,” spokesperson Tara Chislett said in an email to CBC News Wednesday.
“With the current redeployment to schools there are still about 150 full-time equivalent subject lead positions within the districts.”
Educational leads are trained teachers who work out of district offices and travel to schools to help other teachers develop curriculum and assist them with lessons.
Educational leads will be moved to other positions in the school system because more homeroom teachers are needed during the COVID-19 pandemic. (iStock)
Earlier this week, the province also announced 10 respect and diversity leads will also be eliminated. They’re responsible for coaching teachers and school teams about how to be more respectful and inclusive of marginalized students.
The latest cuts have been criticized by education advocates but Education Minister Dominic Cardy said the alternative could’ve meant not having enough teachers in New Brunswick schools in the fall.
Education Minister Dominic Cardy says school leads are being redeployed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. (CBC)
Once students return to school, smaller class sizes will be required, which will mean more teachers needed in schools.
25 active cases of COVID-19
Premier Blaine Higgs and Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health, will be providing a virus update at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.
New Brunswick Public Health reported one new case of COVID-19 in the Moncton region Tuesday, bringing the total number of active cases in the province to 25.
Premier Blaine Higgs has been telling residents they need to remain vigilant until a vaccine is found for the novel coronavirus. (Government of New Brunswick/Submitted)
There have been 147 cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick. Since the virus first broke out in March, 121 people have recovered, including one related to the outbreak in the Campbellton region, where there has been a cluster of COVID-19 cases.
Seventeen of the region’s active 24 cases are in the Manoir de la Vallée, a long-term care facility home in Atholville.
Seventeen people connected to the Manoir de la Vallée in Atholville have tested positive for COVID-19. (Serge Bouchard/Radio-Canada)
There has also been one death related to the respiratory virus this past month.
Five patients are hospitalized with one in an intensive care unit.
What to do if you have symptoms
People concerned they might have COVID-19 can take a self-assessment on the government website at gnb.ca.
Public Health says symptoms shown by people with COVID-19 have included: a fever above 38 C, a new cough or worsening chronic cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, new onset of fatigue, new onset of muscle pain, diarrhea, loss of sense of taste or smell, and difficulty breathing. In children, symptoms have also included purple markings on the fingers and toes.
People with two of those symptoms are asked to: