Public Health has announced three new cases of COVID-19 in the province, bringing the total number of active cases to 29.

Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health, said one case is a  person in their 20s in the Campbellton region. There are two cases in the Moncton area involving a person in their 20s and another person in their 30s. 

Both cases in Moncton involve temporary foreign workers who were tested on their 10th day after arriving in the province and going into self-isolation.

“Our Public Health teams are working hard to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our province,” she said during Monday’s news briefing. 

Russell also offered her condolences to family members of a resident of the Manoir de la Vallée in Atholville, who died over the weekend from the disease. The person is the second in New Brunswick to die from the disease. They were in their 80s. 

Russell would provide no details about the person who died.

Daniel Ouellette, 84, died from COVID-19 at the beginning of June. (Submitted by Michel Ouellette)

An 84-year-old long-term care home resident was the first person in New Brunswick to die of COVID-19.

Daniel Ouellette was a resident at the Manoir de la Vallée in Atholville. He died earlier this month.

A cluster of cases in the Campbellton region surfaced in mid-May, after a doctor travelled to Quebec and did not self-isolate after returning home to the area. 

The Manoir de la Vallée in Atholville has seen a cluster of COVID-19 cases over the past few weeks. (Serge Bouchard/Radio-Canada)

Many of the cases are linked to Manoir de la Vallée. 

29 active cases of COVID-19

Out of the 160 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick, 129 have recovered, including nine related to the outbreak in the Campbellton region. The province said there are 29 active cases of the virus in New Brunswick.

Four patients are hospitalized with one in an intensive care unit.

As of Monday, 37,509 tests have been conducted.

All areas of New Brunswick are in the yellow level of the COVID-19 recovery plan, with the exception of the Campbellton area. The yellow phase is aimed at the gradual reopening of businesses and activities while working to prevent a resurgence of transmission.

The Campbellton area remains at the orange level of the recovery plan.

Adapting to pandemic by schools will be costly

Education Minister Dominic Cardy says millions of dollars will be spent on New Brunswick education as numerous adaptations are made to return students to school safely during the COVID-19 pandemic, 

“It’s going to cost us lots of money but if there’s anything worth investing money in it’s education,” he said during an interview with Information Morning Fredericton.

“If we come out on the other side of this pandemic and we’ve damaged a generation of students and their opportunities to learn and get on in life.” 

Cardy said that would do more damage to the province than anything COVID-19 ever did. 

In addition to the extra money being spent to hire more teachers and adjust bus routes, the education minister said millions will be spent on cleaning supplies to keep the schools clean.

Cardy said there were two main factors taken into consideration when the plan was being developed: health and safety of students and staff and education. 

Education Minister Dominic Cardy expects the province to spend millions of dollars toward New Brunswick education during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Submitted by the Government of New Brunswick)

“What we want for the students is to be able to go to school and come home and say I feel good about myself and I learned something.” 

When it comes to class size, Cardy said the planned smaller class sizes for kindergarten to Grade 2 may prove beneficial in the future if their test results show it. 

“If New Brunswickers see results in their education system based on changes that have been made because of an emergency like COVID-19, and they still see them as being successes and improvements, I can’t imagine any party or anyone would be interested in reversing those.”  

Campbellton’s emergency room closed until further notice

The Campbellton Regional Hospital’s emergency room is closed until further notice because of the spread of COVID-19 in the region, the Vitalité Health Network says.

Visits to the hospital are also prohibited, and all non-emergency services are cancelled until further notice as well. 

Last week, Vitalité Health Network announced that the Campbellton Regional Hospital will open its emergency department, but it was closed again over the weekend. (Shane Fowler/CBC)

The closure comes after the New Brunswick hospital announced it was reopening last week.

The hospital’s emergency department has been closed since the end of May, and all non-urgent or elective health-care services were cancelled due to the high risk of transmission of COVID-19. 

What to do if you have symptoms

People concerned they might have COVID-19 can take a self-assessment on the government website at gnb.ca. 

Public Health says symptoms shown by people with COVID-19 have included: a fever above 38 C, a new cough or worsening chronic cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, new onset of fatigue, new onset of muscle pain, diarrhea, loss of sense of taste or smell, and difficulty breathing. In children, symptoms have also included purple markings on the fingers and toes.

People with two of those symptoms are asked to:



Source link