South Australia’s borders will be reopened to travellers from Western Australia, the Northern Territory and Tasmania from midnight as the State Government again accelerates the easing of coronavirus restrictions.

Key points:Travellers from WA, NT and Tasmania will not have to self-isolate The SA Government is also considering opening up to QueenslandAll South Australian borders will be open to all states by July 20

The change means travellers from those jurisdictions will no longer need to isolate themselves for 14 days when they arrive in South Australia.

SA Premier Steven Marshall today said a decision to open the Queensland border is also under consideration.

While the change applies for travellers coming into SA, Mr Marshall said it would be up to other states to decide whether similar arrangements would apply for South Australian residents travelling interstate.

“People who are returning from those jurisdictions or coming in from those jurisdictions will not be required to do the 14 days of self-isolation,” he said.

Coronavirus update: Follow all the latest news in our daily wrap.

“It’s important for me to point out this doesn’t mean that those jurisdictions have lifted their borders for South Australians going into their jurisdictions.

“What we are effectively doing is removing the border on our side … that means that we should see more people travelling into South Australia.

“It’s got to be direct travel, so somebody can’t travel from Western Australia into Sydney and then into South Australia.”

WA Premier Mark McGowan has already ruled out following suit, saying his state’s border arrangements “will stay in place until such time as it’s healthy and safe to bring them down”.

But Mr Marshall said the SA Government had received legal advice and that there was “no reason for us to be unnecessarily detaining citizens from Western Australia, the Northern Territory or Tasmania”.

NSW and Victoria still of concern

The State Government last week announced South Australia would open all its borders to all states by July 20, but said it would seek to bring that timeline forward for individual states.

Police at the SA border checkpoint at Pinnaroo.(ABC News: Michael Clements)

Mr Marshall said the state’s transition committee was also considering opening borders to Queensland, but held off for now.

He said the committee was still concerned with coronavirus numbers in other states.

“We didn’t make a decision on Queensland today, but it’s likely we will again meet later this week or early next week and we can again consider whether we can remove that state border with Queensland,” he said.

“We are still concerned about New South Wales and Victoria.

“The ACT has done particularly well, I’m sure that’s something that’s going to be considered by that transition committee in the coming meetings.”

Read more about coronavirus:

Mr Marshall also provided further detail about last week’s announcement that public assemblies of up to 300 will be permitted from this Friday.

He said there would also been an easing of restrictions for indoor fitness, dance and yoga classes in South Australia.

Premier Marshall said eased restrictions would help with fitness, dance and yoga classes.(ABC News: Hugh Sando)

“For indoor classes that have previously just had that 10-limit on it, we will allow that to move to 20 if one person per seven square metres can be provided,” he said.

“This in particular relates to fitness classes, dance classes and yoga.”

Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Mike Cusack today issued another warning against complacency, but said more COVID-19 cases were expected throughout the country.

“There’s certainly cases in Victoria and I think it’s an important point to make that we will continue to see cases in Australia and we need to brace ourselves that we may well see further cases in South Australia,” Dr Cusack said.

“We must not lose sight of this and we cannot be complacent.”



Source link