Several students are isolating at a Manchester Metropolitan University campus following an outbreak of coronavirus.

A spokesman for the university said they are ‘managing a handful of confirmed cases’ in flats at the Birley campus in Hulme.

It comes just days after the Manchester Evening News reported how ‘about 100 students’ kept residents awake with a party in the courtyard of Birley Halls earlier this week.

“It was like a rave, they were just p****d. The music was loud. They were drinking, hanging off each other”, a neighbour said of the party.

Students in two blocks of flats were initially told to isolate on Friday morning (September 18) after several people tested positive for Covid-19, a university spokesman said.

Concerns were expressed by residents nearby after a party was held in the courtyard at Birley Halls
(Image: supplied)

He clarified that a ‘vast majority’ of the students have now been told they do not need to isolate following advice from Public Health England.

Read More
Related Articles

Read More
Related Articles

He said they have been left managing a ‘handful of confirmed cases’ in the Vine blocks, which cover three flats.

The majority of confirmed coronavirus cases are in one flat in the Vine blocks, the spokesman confirmed.

Those with positive tests or who were symptomatic have remained in isolation until they have had tests.

A parent of a student who lives in the block said students were ‘beside themselves’.

Vine Block at Birley Halls
(Image: ABNM Photography)

He said: “They can’t leave their flats, they can’t go out for food, they have to have people bringing it in. It’s unbelievable. There has been an outbreak of Covid on the campus. The students are beside themselves.

“Their dream is to come to university. They have come from all over the country to live together and you can’t leave your room. Everyone else in every other block can go about their business.”

A spokesman for Manchester Metropolitan University said: “We have several confirmed cases of COVID-19 within our student community.

“Our people are our top priority and we are now working closely with the local health authorities to provide guidance and support to affected students and our wider community and to minimise the risk of the spread of COVID-19 infections.”

Get breaking news first on the free Manchester Evening News app –download it here for your Apple or Android device. You can also get a round-up of the biggest stories sent direct to your inbox every day with the MEN email newsletter –subscribe here . And you canfollow us on Facebook here .



Source link