An array of stores at Burwood, in Sydney’s inner-west, have been added to an ever-growing list of locations visited by confirmed coronavirus cases as authorities continue to track down people potentially infected.
Confirmed cases of COVID-19 visited the Artisaint Café at 60 Burwood Road on Wednesday 6 January between 10.30am and 11am, and Bing Lee at 103 Burwood Road between 11.25am and 11.40am.
Anyone who visited the venues between these times must get tested immediately and self-isolate until they receive further advice from NSW Health.People in Burwood Park across the road from the Westfield shopping centre where infected COVID-19 patients visited this week. (9News)Westfield Shopping Centre at Burwood was also visited by infected cases on Wednesday January 6 and Thursday January 7.
Anyone who visited the shopping centre between 11.45am and 1.30pm on Wednesday January 6, or between 1pm and 2pm on Thursday January 7 should monitor for symptoms and get tested if any arise.
The same advice applies to the following:
– Kmart Westfield Burwood Shopping Centre on January 6 between 11.45am and 12.15pm.
– House Westfield Burwood Shopping Centre on January 6 between 12.20pm and 12.30pm.
– Coles Burwood on January 6 between 12.40pm and 1.20pm, and January 7 between 1.20pm and 1.55pm.
– Artisaint Cafe Burwood on January 7 between 1.10pm and 1.20pm.
– Costume at Avalon Beach on December 31 between 2pm and 2.15pm.
Kmart at Westfield Burwood Shopping Centre was visited by a an infected case on January 6, 2020. (9News)
Anyone who attended the previously announced venue must get tested immediately and self-isolate until a negative result is received.
Anyone in Merrylands West, Greystanes, South Wentworthville, Merrylands, Westmead, Wentworthville, Pendle Hill, Northmead, North Rocks, Parramatta or Constitution Hill are urged to monitor for symptoms after COVID-19 fragments were detected in sewage.
NSW records four new local cases
New South Wales has recorded four local cases of COVID-19 overnight.
Two were close contacts of the Berala cluster, one is connected to the Croydon cluster and the fourth case was announced yesterday and is connected to the Avalon cluster.
Seven cases were diagnosed in hotel quarantine.
More than 26,000 people were tested for the virus overnight and NSW Acting Premier John Barilaro issued a plea for more people to get tested.
Of the four locally acquired cases two cases are linked to the Berala cluster – a woman in her 50s and a teenage boy, both household contacts of previously recorded cases.
“Pleasingly the cases were in isolation for their full infectious period,” NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said.
Another case is linked to the Croydon cluster, and is a child who was a close contact of a previously recorded case. They were also isolating for the full infectious period. There are now 11 cases in this cluster.
The man in his 40s from the northern zone of the Northern Beaches who tested positive yesterday remains under investigation.
“He was asymptomatic through his isolation and tested negative on three occasions through his isolation period,” Dr Chant said.
Authorities have not yet been able to identify the source of his infection.
“We are having a couple of test results pending on some more casual contacts, and we have issued some additional guidance in relation to some venue information.”
NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant. (9News)
Despite this mystery case, people under lockdown in the northern zone of the Northern Beaches will still be able to leave their homes as of midnight on Sunday.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the government does have “reservations” about easing the lockdown due to the positive case in Avalon.
But, due to the response from local residents over the holiday period, Mr Hazzard said restrictions would be lifted as planned.
He said the northern part of the Northern Beaches will become part of Greater Sydney again at 12.01am on Sunday.
“And have the same rules applying to that area as applies for the rest of Sydney.”
Additionally, the lockdown restrictions being introduced in Queensland today will now apply for people who have travelled to NSW from the listed hotspot areas in Greater Brisbane.
From midday, people currently travelling from Brisbane to NSW from the hotspot locations will be required to abide by the three-day lockdown rules.
“By lunchtime, what we will be saying is clear, if you are in the midst of travelling from Brisbane as we speak to NSW and you come from those areas, we expect you to abide by the isolation rules that would have applied to you as if you were in Brisbane,” Mr Barilaro said.
“If you have visited Brisbane and you are on your way to NSW isolation rules will apply to you.
“If you are already in NSW and you have travelled to NSW from those locations since 12:01am on January 2, we expect you to stay isolated.”
However borders between NSW and Queensland will remain open despite the lockdown restrictions.
“At no point during this pandemic have we ever had a knee jerk reaction or treated the border like a light switch,” Mr Barilaro said.
“If you are driving over the border that is not going to be some border closure but please try to document exactly travel itinerary so that if something occurs and we get in touch, you are able to accurately give us your itinerary to help us minimise any impacts going forward.”
Greater Brisbane’s lockdown is in response to a cleaner testing positive to the UK strain of the virus, which is reported to be much more infectious.
This new mutation of the virus has also been detected in six returned travellers in NSW hotel quarantine.
Attention is also being turned to a new strain from South Africa which has now been identified in overseas travellers in the state.
Four overseas travellers have returned positive preliminary tests for the South African virus strain overnight.
The group has now been transported to another quarantine hotel and further testing is under way to confirm these results.
“As a precaution the 16 people who were accompanying that flight, have as a precaution moved to the Shah(sic.),” Dr Chant said.
“That is because there are concerns that this South African strain does share a similar mutation from the UK, but may be associated with increased transmissibility.
“That is why we are taking a very cautious approach there.
“The remaining two cases with the UK strain, and the four cases with a possible South African strain, receiving care…and will be cleared when they are assessed to be no longer infectious.”