A Sydney hotel quarantine worker has tested positive to COVID-19 after receiving a vaccination.

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said authorities were notified of the locally acquired case late last night and urgent contact tracing and genome sequencing is underway.

The quarantine worker was working at the Sofitel Hotel in Wentworth and the Mantra hotel in Haymarket.

Mr Hazzard said the 47-year-old male security worker had worked while infectious.

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said he was possibly infected by a returned traveller at the Sofitel last week but NSW was keeping “an open mind”.

Dr Chant said he received the first of two doses of the Pfizer vaccine on March 2 but it could take up to 14 days to impact his immune system.

Dr Chant said the guard attended three venues while infectious, including Bexley Aquatics Centre on Saturday March 13 from 9am 9.30am; Pancakes On The Rocks at Beverly Hills on March 13 between 10.45 am to 12pm; and a train from Hurstville to the city arriving at 6.30pm on Friday, March 12.

Anyone who was a customer at the following venues at the listed times should monitor for symptoms.

Haymarket – Dae Jang Kum Korean restaurant on Saturday March 13 between 12.15am to 12.25am;
-Haymarket – 7 Eleven on Saturday March 13 between 12.20am to 12.25am;
Hurstville – Hudson’s Coffee shop, Hurstville Private Hospital on Monday March 8 between 8.30am to 9am; Tuesday March 9 between 8.30am to 9am; Wednesday March 10 between 8pm and 9pm; Thursday March 11 between 8.30am and 9am and Friday March 12 between 8.30am and 9am.

Anyone who travelled on the following train services during the below times should also monitor for symptoms.

-T4 line, Hurstville to Central – Friday March 12 departing 6pm Hurstville and arriving Central 6.30pm.
-T4 line, Central to Hurstville – Saturday March 13 departing Central at 7am and arriving Hurstville at 7.30am.

All of of the security guard’s family members have returned negative COVID-19 test results.

“We have contacted around 130 people who worked from 7pm on Friday night to 7am on Saturday, overlapping March 12 to March 13,” Dr Chant said.

“We are asking those individuals to immediately self-isolate and get a test … that allows us time to work through and ascertain the nature of interaction that this security guard would have had to those quarantine workers.”

NSW Police said in a statement it continues to review and monitor processes in quarantine and provides extensive support to ensure all infection control is in place.

“Investigations are underway by NSW Health to determine the source of this infection,” the statement said.

“As part of these inquiries, NSW Police will assist health investigators by reviewing CCTV, conducting interviews and analysing rosters.”

The new infection breaks NSW’s 55-day streak with no locally acquired cases.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison downplayed any alarm surrounding the case, stating he was not disturbed and vaccinations were not immediately effective.

“I’m not surprised by it, because you would expect these things to happen on the odd occasion.

Dr Kerry Chant said a major risk assessment was underway following the confirmed positive case. (Nine)

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly said the jab was not a “silver bullet” that provided a quick fix.

Professor Kelly added there was a time lag between receiving the jab and it taking affect.

Aside from the hotel quarantine worker, NSW recorded no new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night.

The new case in NSW comes after a doctor at Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital tested positive.

Queensland today recorded one new local case of COVID-19, however it is believed to be an historic case.

NSW Health is asking any NSW residents who attended any of these venues during the relevant times is asked to immediately self-isolate.

Source link