More than 100 million people in China are back in lockdown after a cluster of new coronavirus cases sparked fears of a second wave of the deadly virus.

Jilin, a major city of 4.4 million people in the north west of the country, announced new Wuhan-style lockdown measures after dozens of new infections came to light.

The province has now been put ‘high alert’ after recording three new locally transmitted cases today and one additional death yesterday.

The measures mean that trains and buses have been cut off, schools shut, and thousands being put into strict lockdown.

Chinese people in the area have expressed their frustration at the new measures which have quashed hopes that life could soon return to normal.

“Everyone is jittery,” said Wang Yuemei, a pharmaceutical factory worker in neighboring Tonghua, told Bloomberg News.

Testing has been ramped up in some parts of China amid fears of a second spike
(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Read More
Related Articles

Read More
Related Articles

“I never ever expected Jilin province to be a hard-hit area when the whole country is getting back to normal now.”

It comes one week after the county-level city of Shulan, which is administered by Jilin, went on lockdown and quarantined some 8,000 people in a failed bid to contain the second outbreak.

On Saturday, the provincial government sacked six officials, including Shulan Communist Party Chief Li Pengfei, over their handling of the second wave, which has so far resulted in 18 confirmed cases since 7th May.

Millions are now back under lockdown
(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

The epidemic started in Wuhan, eastern China, and spread globally
(Image: China News Service via Getty Ima)

Read More
Related Articles

Fengman District has recorded 12 cases of local infection in the same period and was put on lockdown starting today after a 15-point directive from the local health commission.

The travel restrictions include bans on all outbound foot and vehicle traffic, as well as the closure of schools and entertainment venues such as cinemas, gyms and restaurants.

Residential districts have been put on closed management, with each household allowed to send one member to shop for essentials once a day.

All shops and the majority of supermarkets in the districts were also shut today, reports added, while city officials were also gathering testing kits and protective equipment for health workers.

A paramilitary police officer wearing a face mask stands guard in Beijing, China
(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

China has denied unsubstantiated claims that it started the virus deliberately
(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Read More
Related Articles

Images show shutter doors closed and streets barricaded and nearing empty as the restrictions came into place at the weekend.

Following an order on 15th May, the Jilin Ice Sports Center was converted into a field hospital in 48 hours and is now ready to accept patients.

It was still unclear which category of patients would be sent to the winter sports arena.

Read More
Coronavirus outbreak

Last week, footage also showed secondary school pupils being sent home as case numbers grew.

Classes had only just resumed on 7th April after much of China declared victory of the coronavirus outbreak.



Source link