The number of Canadians who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus grew by 865 on Saturday, while the national death toll rose by six.

There have been 142,654 cases since COVID-19 was first diagnosed in Canada in late January and 9,211 deaths overall.

Across the country more than 7.7 million tests have been conducted throughout the pandemic, and 87 per cent of all cases are resolved.

The number of new cases being reported daily has increased by more than 60 per cent in the last two weeks, and demand for testing has increased sharply as well.

Read more:
Quebec Premier François Legault and his wife test negative for COVID-19, to remain in isolation

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said on average about 849 cases were reported per day in the last week.

Story continues below advertisement

“I urge all Canadians to take action now to slow the spread of the virus. In addition to strict adherence with personal protective measures (e.g. physical distancing, handwashing and wearing non-medical masks where appropriate), we must all reduce our number of contacts to a minimum,” she said in a statement.

“Most importantly, stay home and isolate yourself from others if you are experiencing any symptoms, even if mild.”

The vast majority of the new cases occurred in Ontario and Quebec, though Saturday’s numbers are incomplete because the territories, Alberta, B.C. and P.E.I. do not release daily statistics on the weekend.

1:49
More for health care dollars, fiscal stabilization program changes tops Jason Kenney’s wish list for throne speech

More for health care dollars, fiscal stabilization program changes tops Jason Kenney’s wish list for throne speech

Quebec announced 427 new infections, bringing its total to 67,080. Five deaths were recorded, three of which occurred earlier this month, officials said.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Premier François Legault said Saturday he has tested negative for COVID-19 but would remain in isolation until Sept. 28.

Story continues below advertisement

Legault and his wife were tested after meeting with Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole — who has since tested positive.

In Ontario, Premier Doug Ford announced the province would be extending restrictions on private events to all areas of the province.

Trending Stories



Envelope containing ricin addressed to White House may have been sent from Canada: RCMP



Coronavirus: 3 dos and don’ts when it comes to social gatherings

Read more:
New COVID-19 gathering restrictions expanded to all of Ontario

Earlier in the week, new limits on the number of people allowed to gather were announced for virus hotspots such as Toronto and Ottawa.

“Over the past several days, we have seen alarming growth in the number of COVID cases in Ontario,” Ford said.

“The alarm bells are ringing. And too much of it has been tied to people who aren’t following the rules. People who think it’s OK to hold parties, to carry on as if things are back to normal. They aren’t.”

3:43
New study examines COVID-19 antibodies in pregnant women

New study examines COVID-19 antibodies in pregnant women

Ontario added 407 new cases on Saturday and one new death was announced. The province has seen a cumulative total of 46,848 infections.

Story continues below advertisement

Officials in Saskatchewan said they hit a record high in testing on Friday, with 2,873 samples taken. There were 11 cases discovered. Overall, the province has seen 1,787 cases and 24 fatalities.

Read more:
Saskatchewan reports 11 new cases of COVID-19, hits single-day testing record

In Manitoba, 18 new cases were reported Saturday. The province has the lowest cumulative case total in Western Canada at 1,558, including some cases considered presumptive.

Nunavut reported its first two confirmed cases Saturday. The two people diagnosed are workers at the Hope Bay Mine, located southwest of Cambridge Bay, officials said. They are believed to have been exposed to the virus in their home province.

“Hope Bay Mine is an isolated location, and no Nunavut residents currently work there. The risk of COVID-19 spreading in our communities because of these cases remains very low,” Health Minister George Hickes said in a statement.

There are currently no other active cases in Canada’s North. The infections previously announced in Yukon and Northwest Territories — 20 in total — have long been resolved.

Three out of four provinces in Atlantic Canada provided updates on the pandemic Saturday but no new cases were announced. There are only a handful of active cases remaining in the region.

Story continues below advertisement

On Friday, British Columbia added 179 new cases, though 40 of them dated back to early August, and Alberta reported 107 new positive tests.

0:54
Coronavirus: Yaffe says Ontario is in a wave, but unclear if province has entered the ‘big second wave’

Coronavirus: Yaffe says Ontario is in a wave, but unclear if province has entered the ‘big second wave’

 

Read more:
Manitoba sees 18 new COVID-19 cases, one new infection at Gordon Bell High School

On Saturday, the U.S. coronavirus death toll was poised to reach 200,000, according to a tally kept by Johns Hopkins University.

Around the world, more than 30 million people have been diagnosed with the illness, and nearly 954,000 people have lost their lives.

—With files from The Canadian Press, Mickey Djuric, Ryan Rocca and David Lao, Global News

View link »




© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Source link