A student at a high school in Sydney’s south-west has tested positive to coronavirus, adding to the growing number of cases in the area.

The NSW Department of Education confirmed the Oran Park High School teen tested positive and the school will be cleaned over the weekend.

Parents have been alerted via text message and anyone with concerns is encouraged to get tested and isolate.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has revealed new cases connected to a childcare centre and a medical centre were detected overnight. (9News)

Earlier today, NSW Health issued a warning for the Great Beginnings Child Care Centre, also in Oran Park, after a family and educator linked to a previously confirmed case reported on October 13 attended the centre.

Staff and children who have attended the centre in the past two weeks are now being asked to isolate as they await further advice from NSW Health.

The new alerts come as NSW officially recorded just one locally acquired case today.

There have also been four additional cases recorded in returned travellers in hotel quarantine.

“The one case is linked to an existing cluster, which is positive,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.

“However we have had a couple of cases overnight.”

A teacher and a child at Great Beginnings in Oran Park have contracted COVID-19 after a positive case attended the centre for four days while infectious. (Google Street View)

The new positive case recorded in today’s figures has been linked to the Lakemba cluster.

“When we get another case at a childcare centre, it is a time when we reflect on whether there were other people who may have been in contact – should people be upgraded from casual to close contacts?” Dr Chant said.

“This is part of our routine.”

Health advice has also been upgraded for the A2Z Medical Centre in Lakemba after two doctors who worked there tested positive on Monday.

Anyone who visited the clinic from October 3 to 10 is now considered a close contact and is being directed to isolate and get tested for COVID-19 regardless of symptoms.

There were 16,391 tests conducted yesterday, up slightly from just over 15,800 the day before.

Health alerts have also been issued for a numbers of south-western Sydney venues which were visited by positive cases almost three weeks ago.

A positive case was at the Bargo Hotel on the Great Southern Road between 7pm and 9pm on September 26.

Patrons and staff who were there for an hour or more during this time period are considered close contacts and must get tested regardless of symptoms, while those there for less than an hour are considered casual contacts.

Positive cases also visited the Spotlight Plaza at 147 Queens Street in Campbelltown – including the Spotlight store and the Gloria Jean’s cafe – between 11am and 1pm and the Narellan Town Centre between 3pm and 5pm on September 26.

Patrons or staff who were at these locations for less than an hour are now considered casual contacts and must be tested if they develop any symptoms.

As more than 14 days have elapsed since all of these potential exposures, contacts do not need to isolate once they receive a negative test result.

Beyond Blue’s Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is a 24/7 service free of charge to all Australians.



Source link