The first British man known to have caught coronavirus has died following a “tragic accident” at his university.

Connor Reed tested positive for Covid-19 in December last year after contracting the virus while working at a college in Wuhan, China.

The student, originally from Llandudno, north Wales, beat the killer bug with a “glass of hot whisky and honey”, Mr Reed said at the time, and he returned to the UK this year to undertake a degree in Chinese language at Bangor University.

His heartbroken mum Hayley, who lives in Australia, said in a post on Facebook that her son was found dead at his halls of residence at Bangor University last week.

“It bring me great sad announce our beautiful son Connor Reed has passed away in a tragic accident at Bangor University at the weekend,” Hayley said.

“He will be so greatly missed by his brothers, family and friends. He had such a wonderful smile, enthusiasm and love for life.

The student contracted the virus while in Wuhan, China last year
(Image: Connor Reed/Facebook)

Read More
Related Articles

Read More
Related Articles

“We are blessed to of had you in our lives if only for a very short time.

“Rest in peace our darling.”

Speaking to The Sun, Hayley said her son had “endured a lot of hardship in China” after catching the virus before having to endure a strict lockdown.

She said: “He endured more lockdown than anyone we have even known – 16 weeks harsh lockdown in Wuhan, two weeks in Australia and a further three weeks in the UK.

“We are both broken hearted that his adventures came to an end at Bangor University where he was studying for a degree in Chinese language with what looks like a tragic accident.

“We will never know where his ambition and drive would have taken him.”

Mr Reed was undertaking a degree in Chinese language at Bangor University

Read More
Related Articles

Mr Reed was diagnosed with coronavirus in Wuhan in December last year after struggling to breathe.

He had lived in the country for three years to teach English and was kept in hospital for two weeks and feared the worst.

“I was stunned when the doctors told me I was suffering from the virus. I thought I was going to die but I managed to beat it,” he said at the time.

“I used the inhaler which helped control the cough and drank a hot whisky with honey until that ran out.

“It’s an old fashioned remedy but it seemed to do the trick.

Mr Reed ‘endured a lot of hardship in China’, according to his mum
(Image: REUTERS)

Read More
Related Articles

“I did refuse to take the antibiotics the doctors prescribed me because I didn’t want to take any medicines.”

Police and paramedics were called to Mr Reed’s halls of residence at Bangor University last Sunday, and the student was pronounced dead at the scene.

A spokesperson for North Wales Police said: “Shortly after 10pm on Sunday,October 25 North Wales Police were requested by the ambulance service to attend at a student’s room at a Bangor University halls of residence.

“Regrettably, despite the best efforts of friends and paramedics, a 26-year-old male student was pronounced dead at the location.

“The death is not being treated as suspicious and the coroner for North West Wales, Mr Dewi Pritchard Jones has been informed.”

A Bangor University spokesperson said: “Our thoughts are with the student’s family and friends at this very sad time.

“Student wellbeing is a university priority and we are offering support to others in halls and at the university who knew the student.”



Source link